Monday, September 21, 2015
Burnt out
Music in my life is as vital to me as the blood in my veins. I listen to music in almost all scenarios in my life, regardless of current emotion- music always seems to have an answer. This love of music has come from being constantly surrounded by music: whether it be the "golden oldies" and NPR Music, or hardcore rap it has always been around me. That young love of music blossomed into a love for playing music as well. I played trombone for seven years and now I have played guitar and banjo for about four years; music is one of my biggest passions. After listening to so many beautiful songs over and over again they lose their meaning, and that is such an interesting facet of music to me. I used to listen to a lot of music on the radio, and then on my iPod Shuffle, then it advanced to using Pandora, but now I have transitioned to a new form of social media: Spotify. While Spotify is an amazing service and I do use it to its very utmost, I can see how it has changed my consumption of music and the length of time that I appreciate music. I find myself constantly clicking the Spotify app on both my computer and my iPhone, even in scenarios where I think it would be faster or easier to work or be in silence, I still click it. The level of music consumption that is occurring allows me to bounce from song to song and discover or share new music all the time, until I get sick of it. Unfortunately the idiom "too much of a good thing can hurt" is very true and I am currently experiencing a burn out of one of my biggest passions. I believe it is because of the introduction of this new Social Media form of Spotify. I believe that after a break from constant listening I will enjoy using Spotify again because it is a great project. I think it is an interesting point to note that social media has affected my life outside of its social use, and that even though I see the negatives in overuse of social media music- I still use it. Spotify has cracked the code to my musical consciousness and it's scary yet beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment